Gettysburg Municipal Authority Water Treatment Operator
- Must possess a valid PA driver’s license.
- Must possess a valid PA Class B, E Water Treatment license including subclasses 1, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12
- Minimum of 5 years progressive experience working in utility field. Requires knowledge and experience in the operations, maintenance and processes of water treatment, basic scientific concepts, federal and state water quality standards and regulations.
- Working knowledge of mechanical, electrical instrumentation and automated SCADA control systems, knowledge and experience with the materials and chemicals used in treatment processes.
- Must adhere to company policies regarding mandatory shift coverage when required.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Physical fitness- capable of lifting and/or carrying 50 lbs. or more on a frequent basis. Walking up and down stairs, climbing, working in confined areas.
- Ability to comply with Company policies.
- Ability to respond to 24 / 7 callout.
- Operate, maintain, control and perform routine repair of plant equipment including preventive maintenance duties.
- Establish, maintain and control flow through the water purification process and into the distribution system.
- Maintain process control through the water purification and washwater processes including the establishment, maintenance, calibration and adjustment of chemical feed rates necessary to optimize the process operation.
- Monitor the water purification plant and water distribution system and make operational control adjustments as necessary.
- Read and interpret meters and gauges on equipment throughout the treatment process.
- Maintain all necessary records.
- Perform water quality sampling, testing and analysis to determine compliance with federal, state standards.
- Loading, unloading, handling, placing into storage and batching water treatment plant chemicals.
- Clean and maintain treatment plant, wells and well houses.
- Perform maintenance duties at water treatment plant, wells and related facilities and other assigned duties.
- Provide assistance to other company employees, as directed by supervisor.
- Perform necessary emergency operating procedures and take proper corrective action for continuous, effective operation of the water purification plant and wells.
- Any other duties which are assigned.
- Communicate in an effective manner, both oral and written, with the general public and company personnel.
- Read and understand instructions, safety rules, etc.
- Mathematical skills sufficient to be able to calculate dosages, surface areas, volumes, weights, measures and algebraic formulas.
- Ability to work independently and under limited supervision.
- Must cope with environmental conditions including contact with water, chemicals, fumes, odors and dust as a result of working with and handling potentially hazardous water treatment and laboratory chemicals. Minimum exposure to inclement weather mostly of short duration.
- Must be able to comply with continuing education requirements as needed for Operator certification renewal.
Skills/Abilities: Experience with technically advanced computer control systems (SCADA) and advanced coagulant control using zeta meter is preferred.
Experience: 5 years employment in water treatment industry, hydrology or related environmental science, civil or environmental engineering, or analytical experience, is preferred.
Education: Technical college coursework and / or degree in chemistry, environmental sciences, civil or environmental engineering is preferred.
This document describes typical duties and responsibilities and is not intended to limit management from assigning other work as desired.
Gettysburg Municipal Authority is seeking a full-time Water treatment operator.
This position will work under the supervision of the Water treatment Supervisor and will assist in all phases and perform a variety of duties to assure the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of a 3.1 MGD conventional gravity filtration plant with Superpulsator clarifiers, chemical addition, along with 6 production ground wells. Qualifications include a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license and current PA DEP water Operators license Class B, E including subclasses 1, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, or the ability to obtain the required Operators license within a reasonable determined amount of time by the Utilities Manager. Knowledge of maintenance, electrical, instrumentation, and process control skills are a plus. The applicant needs to possess strong computer skills with knowledge and high aptitude of MS Word, Excel and ability to learn internal software programs. Must also possess the ability to lift and carry 50 pounds, perform work in all weather conditions, provide stable employment, attendance, and pass a complete background investigation (including references, employment, criminal, driving, and pre-employment drug screening test). Weekends and holidays are required on a rotating basis as well as emergency call-outs with a response time of less than one hour.
Interested parties may submit a cover letter and resume to Mark Guise Utilities Manager, at P O Box 3307 Gettysburg PA, 17325 or by email to [email protected] by September 21,2020.
Gettysburg Municipal Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer.