Harmony Borough Water Authority is accepting applications for Operations Director
Title: Operations Director – Harmony Borough Water Authority
Location: Harmony Borough Water Authority Plant / Offices
Harmony PA 16037
Employment Classification: Full-Time, Salary, Exempt Employee
Date Revised: February 28,2022
Please forward application/resume to the Borough email:
GENERAL PURPOSE & JOB SUMMARY
The Operations Director is responsible and accountable to the operation, maintenance, planning, environmental compliance, and improvements related to all aspects of the water plant, distribution network, administration, and staff supervision of the Harmony Borough Water Authority.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Acts as the lead Operator, responsible for the quality, quantity and reliability of the Water Treatment plant, Distribution network, Water Tower, and all related components, including daily/weekly operations, maintenance and planning.
- Responsible for direct supervision of all Water Plant operations staff, and Water Authority administrative staff, including scheduling, job guidance, capability assessments, work quality compliance monitoring, issue resolution and annual appraisal process.
- Maintains pumps, motors, controls, buildings, grounds, and all related facilities.
- Prepares all budgets and financial plans for the Authority, including annual operating budget, capital improvement proposals, project cost investigation/analysis, cost savings opportunities and ongoing operating cost tracking for all expenditures of the Authority.
- Prepares Risk and Maintenance plans with focus on preventative maintenance and capital investment planning to maintain a high-efficiency operation at best-cost.
- Responsible for administration of emergency operations, which may occur at any hour of any day and at any day of the year; examples may include, but are not limited to, Distribution network line breaks, Water Plant or Water Tank facilities outages and all other operating disruptions in order to maintain safe, compliant and continuous operations.
- Acts as the primary point-of-contact to the Pennsylvania Department of Environment Protection; prepares reports, data, samples, tests and any other data, as required by code/standard, and within the timelines specified.
- Acts as the primary point-of-contact with the general public in the administration of Water Authority business, including managing trouble reports, water quality complaints, new service builds, service changes and all other operational demands.
- Participates with the Authority staff and Harmony Borough on projects, as required.
- Responsible for all PA One calls and responds in the appropriate manner in the time required.
- Evaluates policies and practices and recommends new programs and policies.
- Compiles and recommends purchasing requests for the operation and maintenance of all facilities.
- Supervises and coordinates the construction of all water system taps; Coordinates application process with other staff members.
- Prepares and submits to the Water Authority Board monthly reports as may be required including logs of operation and maintenance performed.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining maintenance logs and schedules for all equipment.
- Responsible for maintaining an accurate inventory of all supplies, equipment, chemicals and materials.
- Prepares, reviews, submits and is accountable to the of all regulatory reports, data collection and other requirements as defined by appropriate legal authorities or as adopted by the Harmony Borough Water Authority operations practices.
- Attends regular and special Harmony Water Authority Board meetings. Attends other meetings when requested by the Board.
- Responsible for all Safety programs for the Water Authority; develops and maintains safety manuals; conducts safety meetings and continuously ensures a safe working environment
- Trains employees on the proper and safe use of all equipment, chemicals and supplies.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Pennsylvania Certified Water Operators License required – Class C, Subclasses 1,7,8,10,11
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field preferred
- Five (5) years previous management/supervisory experience, including water plant operation, construction and maintenance experience preferred
- Lean Six-sigma / Process optimization certification or experience preferred
- OSHA certification preferred
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of modern public administration
- Applies Engineering principles to troubleshoot, investigate and solve problems
- Ability to accurately record and maintain records, including paper and electronic formats
- Ability to efficiently plan and design work
- Ability to interpret and apply blueprints, specifications and other design documents; ability to prepare technical documentation of work / systems of the Authority
- Ability to execute and facilitate water line installation and other public works projects
- Ability to supervise the work of professional, technical and field employees engaged in department activities
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments, officials, and the public
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally
- Ability to prepare clear and comprehensive reports
- Ability to prepare budget requests and funding proposals
- Ability to work under pressure with frequent interruptions
- Ability to work with angry or difficult customers
- Ability to effectively meet and deal with the public
- Ability to handle stressful situations
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Knowledge in the operation of the listed tools and equipment
Position works under the general supervision of the Harmony Borough Water Authority Board, with direct accountability to the Chairman of the Board.
Position will supervise all Authority operations staff, including full and part-time Water Operators (4), Authority Administrative staff (1) and third-party contractors or support personnel as may be required to be employed from time-to-time.
Must be bondable and possess a Valid State Driver’s License
Must attend monthly Harmony Borough Water Authority Board meeting in-person (7pm last Wednesday of each month)
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Personal computer including Microsoft Office, SCADA systems, service call tracking software, telephone, copy machine, fax machine, data logger, snow plow, backhoe, air compressor, trench shoring and other power tools and safety equipment.
The successful candidate must be physically capable to perform all duties, including working in an industrial plant environment, working outdoors in all weather conditions, day or night. Candidate must have normal color perception. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, talk, speak and hear. The employee is frequently required to walk in rough terrain; use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Employee must occasionally work with heavy equipment, in trenches and in construction environments. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Formal application, rating of education and experience, oral interview, reference check, job and other related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, relative or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with experience:
Expected Range $50-90k
Benefits: Health & Retirement plan
Vacation: 3 weeks paid
Remote Work: at discretion of Board and with prior planning
The Harmony Borough Water Authority was originally founded in 1945,and was incorporated as an independent operating Authority by the Harmony Borough in 1995.
The Authority currently serves 647 customers in the Harmony Borough and a portion of the Jackson Township municipalities.
The Authority Water Plant is a surface water treatment facility located in Jackson Township and draws drinking water from the Little Connoquenessing Creek.
The Harmony Borough Water Authority Board consists of 5 members appointed by the Harmony Borough Council, each serving a four-year term.
The Board meets on the last Wednesday of each month at 7pm in the Harmony Borough building.
Please forward application/resume to the Borough email: