Lead Wastewater Operator – Middletown, PA 17057, USA
- Account for operation of the water treatment and/or wastewater treatment processes, drinking water and/or wastewater laboratory, and perform assigned operations and maintenance responsibilities at the water and/or wastewater treatment facilities in accordance with established procedures. Perform operations and maintenance activities on water distribution lines and/or wastewater collection lines, including all related components and appurtenances. Employee is subject to varied work conditions in and outdoors, including noise, fumes, hazardous materials and inclement weather. The company reserves the right to limit the position to one lead operator for each Water and/or Wastewater operation.
Primary Duties / Responsibilities
- Deliver potable drinking water to the consumers, provide the analytical examination of water and/or provide continuous effective treatment of collected wastewater, manage biosolids processing and distribution, and provide the analytical examination of wastewater and biosolids in compliance with United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and/or Susquehanna River Basin Commission (SRBC) regulations, and in accordance with standard operations procedures and approved methods; assure availability of sufficient liquid biosolids storage capacity as to cause no interference or interruption to the wastewater treatment process operations; secure the procurement of materials and supplies in accordance with established policies as required to accomplish the same; maintain records as required.
- Communicate specific instructions to, direct, and review the work of other operators assigned to perform water and/or wastewater treatment processes, laboratory, biosolids operations, distribution and/or collection operations. Lead other crew members, provide direction or training where appropriate; refer any personnel matters to the Assistant Project Manager or Project Manager.
- Operate backhoe/ front-end loader and other vehicles and equipment in the maintenance of water distribution and/or sewer collection lines, including all related components and appurtenances.
- Implement and maintain standard water and/or wastewater treatment, process control and laboratory operating procedures, and distribution and/or collection system operating procedures.
- Account for all assigned materials, tools, and equipment; perform specific maintenance and inspections in accordance with established procedures; maintain records as required to accomplish the same; secure the procurement of materials and supplies as required to perform job responsibilities.
- Coordinate wastewater treatment process operations with the biosolids and laboratory operations; coordinate and perform preventive and corrective maintenance and repair of assigned equipment to assure the continuous effective treatment of collected wastewater, sufficient biosolids processing and/or to assure continuous delivery of potable drinking water to the consumers.
- Assure the scheduling, analysis, and the performance of sample collections in accordance with EPA and DEP regulations; coordinate required performance of analytical examinations with any private laboratories in order to meet established deadlines
- Confer on a regular basis, or as determined by Project Management and as circumstances warrant, with other operators and the Assistant Project Manager.
- Prepare and submit various regulatory reports to the PM/APM for review and final submittal to regulatory agency.
- Implement and maintain utility operation & maintenance safety program by performing routine inspections to assure a safe working environment; assist in the development and regular review of policies and operating procedures; review the work of other operators to assure established procedures are followed.
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures; review the work of other operators to assure established procedures are followed.
- Perform data processing activities; maintain records and reports in conjunction with the Assistant Project Manager and/or Project Manager.
- Monitor vehicle inventory and condition
- Provides proper documentation and reports as required
- Complete work orders and daily activity reports accurately
- Must be able to work extended hours as needed
- Operate mobile and heavy equipment such as but not limited to backhoes, dump trucks, utility trucks, jackhammers, Rotary Screen Thickener and Centrifuge, air compressors and power driven equipment.
- Respond to emergency call-outs after regular working hours when requested or required
- Attends a minimum of 16 hours of continuing operation training annually.
- Participate in weekend and after-hours on-call rotation in order to receive emergency calls from answering service.
- Perform other work activities related to specific job responsibilities listed above.
- Perform other duties as required.
Education / Experience / Background
- Requires a High School education or equivalent GED
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in operations and maintenance of Water treatment and and/or wastewater treatment process control, including at least 5 years’ experience in operation, maintenance and construction of water distribution and/or wastewater collection systems.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Proven skills in the effective and efficient operation of water treatment and distribution and /or wastewater treatment and collection processes.
- Proven skill in the accurate performance of analytical laboratory procedures.
- Proven skills in mechanical or maintenance tasks or trades.
- Proven skills in the operation of heavy equipment such as front loaders, back hoe and tandem axle dump trucks and water and wastewater line maintenance equipment utilized in water/sewer system work activities.
- Ability to perform manual labor and utilize shovels, picks and other hand tools and equipment.
- Ability to climb and work on high structures.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment such as front loaders, forklift, skid-steer, dump trucks and Jet-Vac Truck.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public.
- Experience using closed caption television (CCTV) and other sewer inspection equipment
Required Certification / Licenses / Training
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a safe driving record.
- Hold as minimum a valid Drinking Water Class B, E; Subclasses 8,10,11& 12 Operators license and/ or Wastewater Treatment Class B, E; Subclasses 1, 4 Operators license as issued by the PA-DEP
- Hold valid PA Class B Endorsement N (Tank) with no air brake restriction Commercial Driver’s License as issued by PennDOT.
Physical Requirements / Work Environment
- Ability to perform lifting of objects weighing as much as 50 lbs
- Ability to remain on one’s feet while working for periods as long as 5 hours
- Ability to perform manual labor
- Ability to climb and descent from stairs and ladders as high as 100 feet.
- Ability to perform work on elevated structures and in confined spaces.
- Ability to bend, reach, and squat to perform operations and maintenance tasks
- Ability to perform physical functions that require the full use of both hands and feet.